We are all very concerned with the safety and well-being of our kids and with all the recalls, safety warnings and other important things hitting the news lately; I thought it would be a good thing to let parents know about this.
It seems that the very thing that is being marketed and pushed by health gurus and the health departments around the world as healthy are very bad for our children. Thanks to Jasmin M Chua over at inhabitots for this information.
The Bay Area-based environmental nonprofit, which enlisted the aid of a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency-certified lab in Berkeley, tested nearly 400 samples from 150 branded products marketed to children, including apple juice, grape juice, packaged pears and peaches (including baby food), and fruit cocktail mixes.
I find it alarming that such things go unnoticed to the store shelves for consumption and us parents trusting the agencies that monitor these things don’t even look at the ingredients when we buy them. Makes one wonder why there are so many sick kids, even in the most developed nations.
The alarming results: 125 out of 146 products—or more than 85%—contained enough lead in a single serving to warrant a warning label under California’s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, better known as Prop. 65.
At least something is being done about it. We can only hope that something does get done and that a change happens and fast. For now I guess home made juices and fresh cut fruits and veggies will suffice. I guess I’ll be taking Jasmin’s advice to make our own juices and packing my son’s lunch from now on.
Here’s an excerpt of the list showing the only most popular brands:
- Del Monte 100% Juice Fruit Cocktail
- Del Monte Chunky Mixed Fruit in 100% Juice (peach, pear, grape, etc.)
- Del Monte Diced Pears in Light Syrup
- Del Monte Freestone Peach Slices in 100% Juice
- Del Monte Fruit Cocktail in Heavy Syrup (peach, pear, grapes)
- Del Monte Fruit Cocktail No Sugar Added
- Del Monte Lite Fruit Cocktail in Extra Light Syrup
- Del Monte Pear Halves in Heavy Syrup
- Del Monte Pear Halves, Bartlett Pears in 100% real fruit juice from concentrate
- Del Monte Sliced Yellow Cling Peaches in 100% Juice
- Del Monte Sliced Yellow Cling Peaches in heavy syrup
- Dole Diced Peaches, Yellow Cling in light syrup
- Dole Mixed Fruit in Light Syrup
- Dole Pear Halves in Juice
- Gerber 100% Juice – White Grape Juice
- Gerber 100% Juice Apple Juice
- Gerber 3rd Foods Peaches
- Gerber 3rd Foods Pears
- Great Value 100% Grape Juice
- Great Value 100% No Sugar Added Apple Juice
- Great Value Bartlett Pear Halves in 100% Juice
- Great Value Bartlett Sliced Pears in Heavy Syrup
- Great Value No Sugar Added Fruit Cocktail
- Great Value Yellow Cling Sliced Peaches
- Walgreens Apple Juice from concentrate 100% juice
- Walgreens Grape Juice from concentrate 100% juice
- Welch’s 100% Grape Juice (from Welch’s Concord Grapes)
- Welch’s 100% Red Grape Juice from Concentrate
For the complete article, click here.