My Freedom of Speech is one of the Constitutional Rights I treasure and will guard with all my other freedoms…. one thing no one should ever ask me to give up is free speech. Let me tell you some of my many reasons why I treasure it so much and would never give it up:
- I grew up in an era where I witnessed my father having to measure what he said so that the political party in power would not take away his cane-license or his land or his freedom.
- I worked in the media in the days when what you say, report or repeat was censored and I fought it then and would fight it now!
- I worked at an organization that believed they could pay me to never write again or speak publicly on any issue other than their own agenda… I turned them down.
- I live in a country where our people are taken advantage of our less fortunate oppressed our professionals stay silent so as to keep a job…. and I see the injustice it creates…. but talking out and speak up for others would make a simple difference.
- I witness where political manipulation, governmental corruption, lack of accountability and transparency succeeds because those who see and know refuse to speak up…. so evil and injustice prevails….
I do not know it all, I can never know it all… and I am not perfect… and I know I could make mistakes and be wrong… and have made mistaken and been wrong….. but despite those…. I will err on the side of not being silenced and so I speak on what I know; I will denounce what I don’t like; I will call out people to be accountable; and I will offer my opinion, even if you don’t want to hear it; I will speak up for others at the risk of being beaten down and I will take my licks …. BUT I WILL NOT BE SILENCED! So don’t ask me to not speak out, write in the newspaper, fb, or anywhere else…. if you do you are guilty of trying to breach my Constitutional Rights…. so be prepared for the consequence!