What is an Energy Server?Image by Getty Images via @daylife
Built with our patented solid oxide fuel cell technology, Bloom’s Energy Server™ is a new class of distributed power generator, producing clean, reliable, affordable electricity at the customer site.
Fuel cells are devices that convert fuel into electricity through a clean electro-chemical process rather than dirty combustion. They are like batteries except that they always run. Our particular type of fuel cell technology is different than legacy “hydrogen” fuel cells in three main ways:
- Low cost materials – our cells use a common sand-like powder instead of precious
metals like platinum or corrosive materials like acids.
- High electrical efficiency – we can convert fuel into electricity at nearly twice the
rate of some legacy technologies
- Fuel flexibility – our systems are capable of using either renewable or fossil fuels
Each Bloom Energy Server provides 200kW of power, enough to meet the baseload needs of 160 average homes or an office building… day and night, in roughly the footprint of a standard parking space. For more power simply add more energy servers.
- Fuel Cell Energy: What is it? What can it do? (txu.com)
- The Coca-Cola Company Takes Important Step Toward Clean Power In U.S. (thecoca-colacompany.com)
- Apple looking at fuel cells for future devices (macficionado.wordpress.com)