Preliminary: First phase. May threaten within 72 hrs. red flag
Red 1 – Watch: Second phase. May threaten within 36 hrs. red flag with black dot in center
Red II – Warning: Third phase. Likely to strike within 24 hrs. two red flags with black disks above each other
All Clear: Fourth Phase. Hurricane has passed. green flag
Belize’s NEMO (National Emergency Management Organization) Mission Statement from its website:
NEMO in cooperation with the respective Emergency Management Committees, and all Public and Private agencies, is established to preserve life and property throughout the country of Belize in the event of an emergency, threatened or real, and to mitigate the impact on the country and its people.
Belize uses following flags shown:
- Plain Red:
- A tropical depression moves into or develops anywhere in the quadrant south of 211°N latitude and west of 80°W longitude, OR
- A tropical storm or hurricane moves into or develops anywhere in the quadrant south of 21°N latitude and between longitudes 80°W and 83°W.
- Double set of Red Pierced Black:
- A tropical storm or hurricane moves into or develops anywhere in the quadrant south of 20° N latitude and west of 85°W longitude.
- Red Pierced Black:
- A tropical [storm or hurricane moves into or develops anywhere in the quadrant south of 20°N latitude and between longitudes 83°W and 85°W.
- The tropical depression, tropical storm or hurricane has passed or not longer poses a threat to Belize and coastal waters.
images by António Martins-Tuválkin
|Red Pierced Black|